About MAPS and MAPS Public Benefit Corporation (MAPS PBC):
The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit research and educational organization that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana. Research indicates that psychedelics have the potential to be a breakthrough in treating PTSD, depression, addiction, and other conditions.
MAPS has worked for over 35 years toward paving the way for education and legalization of such breakthrough medicines. MAPS is committed to bringing these healing modalities to the world and providing them in such a way that communities that most need mental health resources have access to them. This shift has the potential to unlock previously unavailable resources for the investigation of psychedelic-assisted treatments applied to our most critical mental health challenges.
MAPS Public Benefit Corporation (MAPS PBC) catalyzes healing and well-being through psychedelic drug development, therapist training programs, and sales of prescription psychedelics while prioritizing public benefit above profit. Founded in 2014, MAPS PBC is a wholly owned subsidiary of MAPS.
Why Work For MAPS?
MAPS is at the forefront of changing the way mental health issues are treated and is committed to bringing dignity and access to overcoming mental health challenges through the conscious use of psychedelics. We believe we are changing the world, and we want you to be a part of it.
At MAPS, we value transparency, autonomy, experimentation, and kind, direct feedback. We welcome applicants who thrive in a growing organization that values science, justice, and healing.
We believe in diversity and inclusion of people of all backgrounds, ages, genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, educational backgrounds, arrest or conviction record, military and veteran status, religions, abilities, and perspectives. MAPS values and seeks applicants who are people of color, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid. MAPS strives to continually improve upon the supportive, equitable, and accessible work environment.
MAPS is a dispersed workforce that offers full-time employment in a remote work environment. We are committed to conscious leadership and an inclusive team dynamic. Our culture is one of mutual respect, responsibility, and trust. Our employees’ health and happiness are priorities, and we treat our staff like people, not numbers on a spreadsheet.
Learn more about MAPS:
- TED Talk by MAPS Founder Rick Doblin, Ph.D., on the future of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy
- Tim Ferriss Podcast interview with MAPS Founder, Rick Doblin, Ph.D.
- Recent article in the New York Times
MAPS is seeking an influential, accomplished, and collaborative Pharmaceutical Business Development Consultant (“BD Consultant”). The BD Consultant will serve both MAPS and MAPS PBC and the BD Consultant’s work product will be shared across the two organizations.
The purpose of this role is to accelerate our mission to scale mass mental health through psychedelic-assisted therapy. This is a contractor position for a seasoned BD expert to help MAPS design and launch a Business Development function. The BD function is designed to generate commercial revenue through the development of a pipeline of potential collaborations with a focus on drug development, commercialization, and therapist training. These relationships could take the form of partnerships, licensing, joint ventures, and other collaborations. This role will involve developing a roadmap to partnership readiness, developing a strategy for what partnerships to prioritize, and hiring the dedicated BD team.
You will report to the MAPS Director of Strategy and work with team members from both MAPS and MAPS PBC. You will play a key role in designing the psychedelic-assisted therapy ecosystem by helping MAPS develop its approach to Business Development. As the first mover in this space, MAPS’ BD function will shape the culture of an entirely new field.
Ideal Candidate Traits:
- 10+ years of pharmaceutical/life sciences industry experience in securing, developing, implementing, and managing partnerships
- 5+ years exposure working with top level corporate executives in pharmaceutical and life sciences industries
- Business development or transactional experience with a record of completing complex transactions in pharmaceutical/biotech/medical devices—ideally including international deals
- Broad network of senior level contacts across the pharmaceutical and life sciences industries
- Extensive experience creating RFPs for transactions in pharmaceutical/biotech/medical devices
- Demonstrated understanding of drug discovery, research, development and commercialization processes and proven ability to effectively collaborate with R&D leadership
- Project management/leadership skills to lead/manage multifunctional teams
- Organized and independent: You are comfortable managing complex projects independently while explicitly defining and delivering on priorities
- Incredible communication skills – written and spoken
- Empathic and emotionally intelligent: You enjoy building and nurturing relationships in a high-stakes environment
- Creative and bold: You have experience to bring to bear but recognize this is a truly novel launch that will venture into new territory. You are imaginative and not bound by status quo thinking
- Pressure-tested and adaptable: Thrive in a fast-paced, data-driven, work environment with world-class R&D minds and a global vision
- Passionate about our mission: You are looking to contribute to a mission-driven organization and are willing to go above and beyond to make MAPS a success
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a roadmap to partnership readiness
- Develop a strategy for types of partnerships to prioritize
- Use your network to assist MAPS in hiring a dedicated BD team
- Develop partnership pipeline of strategy-aligned opportunities
- Develop assessment and evaluation processes
- Prior to hiring the dedicated BD team, lead the interim BD team in prospecting, qualifying, negotiating, and closing deals
- Contractor, approx. 10 hours/week. This consultancy is a part-time position.
- We are a West Coast-based company and consultants generally should be available for meetings during standard business hours (9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Pacific Time, Monday through Friday). The exact schedule may be arranged upon hire
Location and Logistics:
- This is a remote position that will require you to have a suitable workspace with secure internet and reliable phone reception. This position requires frequent phone and internet meetings
FLSA Status: Contractor
Compensation: Fees to be determined based on experience and availability
|Job Category||Marketing, Operations|
|Role||Pharmaceutical Business Development Consultant|