We are seeking a Data Scientist who will support our product, sales, leadership and marketing teams with insights gained from analyzing company health study data. The ideal candidate is adept at using large data sets to find opportunities for product and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. They must have strong experience using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods, using a variety of data tools, building and implementing models, using/creating algorithms and creating/running simulations. They must have a proven ability to drive business results with their data-based insights. They must be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams. The right candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
Location: Vancouver, Canada (remote is fine)
Job Type: Part-time (to start), Contract
Start date: today
Quantified Citizen is a Canadian-based mobile health startup developing solutions to disrupt the clinical and health product research markets. We empower citizen scientists and professional researchers to easily participate and create their own scientific studies, building a movement towards more timely insights into the latest health research.
We launched our flagship mobile research app in November 2019 on the Joe Rogan Experience and have since had over 31,000 iOS app installs with a 4.8 star rating. Among our initial studies, we’ve partnered with world-famous mycologist Paul Stamets on a UBC research ethics approved 10,000+ participant correlational study on the effects of microdosing psychedelic substances on cognitive performance and mental health. We’ve also partnered with award-winning cinematographer Louie Schwartzberg on a 5,000 participant gratitude study.
Help us bring health research to everyone!
What You’ll Be Doing
- Provide high level statistical analysis of health data from research studies
- Research and develop statistical learning models for data analysis
- Collaborate with product management and engineering departments to understand company needs and devise possible solutions
- Keep up-to-date with latest technology trends
- Communicate results and ideas to key decision makers
- Implement new statistical or other mathematical methodologies as needed for specific models or analysis
- Optimize joint development efforts through appropriate database use and project design.
What We Expect from You
- Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
- Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SLQ, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Experience working with and creating data architectures.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- We’re looking for someone with 5-7 years of experience manipulating data sets and building statistical models, has a Master’s or PHD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field, and is familiar with the following software/tools:
- Coding knowledge and experience with several languages: C, C++, Java,
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, social network analysis, etc.
- Experience querying databases and using statistical computer languages: R, Python, SLQ, etc.
- Experience using web services: Redshift, S3, Spark, DigitalOcean, etc.
- Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
- Experience analyzing data from 3rd party providers: Google Analytics, Site Catalyst, Coremetrics, Adwords, Crimson Hexagon, Facebook Insights, etc.
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, MySQL, etc.
- Experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using: Periscope, Business Objects, D3, ggplot, etc.
- Health data experience is a plus.
How to Apply
Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the role’s title in your subject line In the email, include: (1) Why you’re excited about what we’re doing. (2) Relevant descriptions and links that best showcase your work as it fits with this role.